Monday 17 May 2010

Cath Kidston Sew Bag ~ Amended


Remember the bag I made a couple of weeks ago from the Sew Cath Kidston Book? Well, I was really pleased with it, but I was not particularly happy with the strap.
I can’t really put my finger on why, it just kind of felt like it didn’t go somehow and I am more comfortable with handbags than shoulder bags. Each time I used it I felt a bit like a child playing dressing up and I was contemplating using it as a storage bag inside my wardrobe.

So, on Saturday morning I was thumbing thorough the latest Summer 2010 Cath Kidston Magazine and came across this picture of a bag that I loved:
… and thought that I could alter my bag to be a bit more like that one. So I got out the scissors, took the strap off, snipped the buttons off and changed it.

This is what it was after I made it originally:

And this is it with it’s new handles:


Here is me sporting it (the shape of it is a bit distorted as I had it stuffed full of heavy stuff, camera, makeup purse etc), I will actually use this much more now and I love it:

This also means that I have some spare CK fabric left over from the original strap - it is quite narrow though, I wonder what I can use it for...

Back Soon

12 comments:

Perfect Balance Marketing said...

I love the new look - great straps. Someone stopped me in the street the other day to admire my CK bag and to say she'd made the same one - I think loads of people have them so it's nice to see yours which is a little bit different to the norm.

You could maybe use the strap as a strap for another bag and sew it on rather than using the buttons. That's what I did with mine as the buttons weren't great at holding it in place. Or you could cut it up and use the scraps for patchwork on another bag? xox

Nicky Stevenson said...

Great project. I can identify your problem with straps - I've got a few bags that I won't take out because the strap is uncomfortable for one reason or another. Grrr!

Unknown said...

Ive got mine to make up still. Really like the new handles on yours. I`m going to make mine with the long strap as I want a little cross over bag for when I`m pushing Thomas in his pram. My all singing all dancing pram doesn`t have much room for handbags or shopping lol!

Poppy x

LaaLaa said...

Great idea! I feel the same about the strap, it's just not the right length. Lovely new bag! Lynda xx

Pootle said...

Was nice before but looks even nicer with the new straps Kandi! - Pootle Flump x

Pootle said...

p.s Loving your new hairdoo too!! You really suit it!! x

Alex said...

I like it much better with the new straps!

giddynici said...

Thats fab that you used the mag as inspiration. Looks much better with the 2 straps.

Do you use CB forum?

x

Kandi said...

Thanks ladies, I am much happier with it now, just need the shoes to match it (roll on payday)!
Nici - sorry what is the CB forum? I am often found on the MSE forums.
Kandi x

23rdspiral said...

you did a good thing altering it to your needs and emulating the one in the mag. bravo! oh, and i've got to say that the redundant straps would probably make quite a few hexagons... or do you fear catching that particular blog-bug?!?

Pam said...

I made this bag as well, like your shorter straps, I lined mine with some pink and cream polka dot fabic and when I get mo will make a big flower to go on the bag to match, as I decided to take my promarkers on holiday and the bag was perfect for this only thing was one pen lid came off so I now have a big green stain on my bag :-(

Maria - A Playful Stitch said...

The bag looks great with those new straps!