Saturday 2 November 2013

Lest We Forget

It is that time of year again when we start to see poppies everywhere, in commemoration of Armistice Day. Armistice Day also known as Remembrance Day is on November 11th each year and commemorates the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front, which took effect at eleven o’clock in the morning – the “eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month” of 1918.

Due to many different issues I have not been able to make poppies to sell this year as I have done in previous years, but I have made a small handful to give to friends and to wear myself, giving a donation to The Royal British Legion on their behalf.


There are many free patterns out there for poppies but I made this one up myself as I was sat with my wool basket at my side and a sleeping kitten on my lap and couldn’t reach the iPad for a tutorial.

If you would like to make your own, the pattern went something like this 
(UK Crochet Terms)

Poppy
1st round: Ch2, In second chain from hook, dc 11, join last dc to first with a slip stitch (10 sts)
2nd round: Ch1, *in 1st dc (dc, htr,tr), in 2nd dc 2 tr, in 3rd dc 3tr, in 4th dc (tr, htr, dc), ss into next dc* repeat from *to* (24 st)
3rd round: Ch1, in 1st st of previous round (dc,htr, tr), in next 10 stitches tr, 2tr, tr, 2tr, tr, 2tr, tr,    2tr, tr,2tr, in 12th stitch of previous round (tr,htr,dc) ss into next dc.  
In 14thst of previous round (dc,htr,tr) tr into next 9 st, into 23rd st of previous round (tr, htr, dc) ss into last st of previous round.
Bind off and sew in ends.






Leaf
1st row: Ch 6, In 2nd chain from hook, work 1dc, 1htr, 2tr, 1ht,1dc, ch1 at end of row ss into back of second chain from hook to form picot, turn,


this is where you ss into the back of the stitch can you see where I've placed the needle for clarity?
2nd row:, working along the other side of the chain, work 1dc, 1htr, 1tr, 1htr, 1dc.
Bind off and sew in ends, leaving a tail to attach leaf to flower.
Finishing:  I added a small circle of black felt with a small 6mm dolls eye as the centre, but you can simply sew a nice black button in the middle.  Using black cotton add the stamen and add a simple french knot at the end of each stamen.

Attach your leaf to the back and tack in place, add a brooch back (or a safety pin) to the back and you are done.

I covered my button and gave it a spritz of spray starch to set it.

As I said I made this up as I went with a paper poppy as a guide but as it is a standard poppy shape it is likely that there are very similar patterns out there, this is my own.

 Please feel free to use this pattern to make poppies for your own use or to sell for charity. Please do not make poppies to sell for personal profit from this pattern.

If you are planning to make yourself a poppy instead of buying one you can make a donation to the Royal British Legion directly here.

The Exhortation

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, not the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

When you go home tell them of us and say,

For your tomorrow we gave our today


Back Soon




n.b. thanks for the feedback I have made an amendment to pattern 06.11.14 Kandi x


18 comments:

Jennydee said...

That is perfect I have just started to look for patterns .I plan to make them for my daughters,they can give a donation at school but are less likely to lose these like they do with the paper ones! Thank you.

Gilly Tee said...

I always lose the paper ones and then feel guilty because I'm not wearing one. My Mother worked worked for years for the British legion and died in one of their homes. it is a wonderful organisation.
Gillx

Jille said...

That is a nice pattern, thanks for sharing it. I recently bought a magazine for the poppy pattern. I still haven't got round to making it yet. I will make yours instead. We have a collection pot at school so I can donate there.
Jille xx

Wendy said...

Fabulous tutorial, thank you. I also always make my poppy and then donate to the Poppy Appeal, I'm a bit late this year but I think I can whip this up tonight.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, I've bought one ,but would love to make my own one too,xxx

Ally Thorpe said...

Greetings from Australia. I was looking for a crochet Poppy for ANZAC Day (25 April) and thankyou so much for yours . I am the Wife and Mother of serving Australian Soldiers and along with many other comments are fed up with losing the poppy on the way to the Dawn Service. The Ode as we call it is different to the 1 you have posted with the last 2 lines being different, where did you get it from ? Best wishes Ally. B.

Meryl said...

I am also from Down Under, your beautiful Poppy Pattern is much appreciated, I will be very proud to wear it. Thanks so much

Unknown said...

Hello and thank you for the lovely pattern. I looked at a few others but loved this one.
I am quite new to crochet and had a bit of a problem on round 3 '2st". Could you enlighten me to what this is ?

Thanking you kindly
jeanette

Unknown said...

Finally a pattern I can almost understand...teaching myself crochet slowly! Can you help in round 3 can you let me know what '2St' equates to inbetween the 2 trebles. Many thanks. Kate x

Unknown said...

I'm rubbish at reading patterns and I'm also more familiar with US terminology so my first one took me ages! However, it's just what I wanted - there are loads of poppy patterns out there, but most seem to be like the flower, rather than like the poppy pins you can buy (with just the 2 petals). This was fab. Thanks!! x

Sammy A said...

Hello thank you for this pattern.
My nephew asked me to find a poppy pattern for his teacher and I chose yours as it is so pretty! I thought I'd make one before I pass it on and I am having a little trouble with the leaf, it just doesn't seem to look right?
I chain 6 and continue with stitches written then do the picot but I end up with a chain empty at the end?
When you say 2tr, do you mean in the same stitch?
Sorry I am a begginer so still getting use to patterns
Thank you
Sammy :-)

Unknown said...

Hi there, what a fantastic pattern. It is so easy to understand. Its been hard trying to find one where it actually looks neat and tidy when it's finished. So pleased with this one. Thanks again. Sandra xx

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing you perfect poppy pattern!
I have made quite a few now and added a bit of my own bling too! Raising lots of money for the poppy appeal which is brilliant - thank you again.

Sandra said...

Thank you for the very pretty and easy poppy pattern. I'm going to make one today.

Claudia said...

Lovely poppie! :0)

Unknown said...

Hi what size crochet hooks are people using for this pattern
thanks
Amanda

Unknown said...

hi there, I have literally just finished making mine, instead of starting with chains I made a magic ring as I am more used to them, but it was a lovely and quick pattern to do, so thank you very much :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this tutorial. I am re finding crochet after not doing any since I was a child. I made my poppy with red and green embroidery thread and used little black bugle beads for the centre. I love it and will wear it with pride tomorrow 11/11/14. I wanted to post a photo for you to see but couldn't. There is one on my webpage so if you want to see it please go to
http://www.echodeco.co.uk/#/my-makes/4581446277
Thanks again.
Nicky