Monday 7 June 2010

Cath Kidston Fabric Recycled Scatter Cushion

My lovely friend visited last week with her boyfriend and he donated a pair of old jeans to me for my stash ~ thanks! I was really pleased with the colour of them so I gave them a quick wash and took the scissors to them.

The material you get from old jeans is obviously only as wide as the legs, so I thought it would be best to use it in strips. It seemed to go really well with my Cath Kidston Spray Duck so it ended up as a cushion.
I followed the pattern for the little bird cushion from the Sew Cath Kidston Book, mainly for the overall size and front strip sizes. I appliquéd some hearts to the front and added a little length of vintage lace to the front seams.

It’s not a full size cushion so I had to make it a bespoke cushion for the inside using an old pillowcase and some new cushion stuffing.

I popped this into my cushion cover and slip stitched it closed at the bottom.

I’m quite pleased with how this turned out, I think that I may make a few more of these, they are a nice size to scatter on your bed.


p.s. I have just noticed that I have 94 followers! Wow, thank you all so much for following my ramblings and leaving your comments. As a thank you to all you lovelies I must think about putting together a 100 followers giveaway (that's if I get to 100!). I am not sure of the content yet as I have not thought this through really, but watch this space.

Back Soon ♥


24 comments:

Perfect Balance Marketing said...

What a gorgeous cushion, Kandi - clever you. I love upcycling clothes! And congrats on your followers - you're a committed blogger so people know you'll post interesting posts and want to hear what you're up to! Keep up the great blogging, Lucy xox

LaaLaa said...

What a great idea Kandi! xxx

hart44 said...

Kandi, your cushion is so pretty. Clever you :)

Vix said...

Fabulous, Kandi! Such a pretty combination.
I've backed my cushions with denim, it's such a great fabric.
Vix
xxx

Gilly Tee said...

I love the look of denim and pretty fabric together, I think it is so feminine. Gorgeous.

VintageVicki said...

Those fabrics go so well together - cushion looks very comfy & squishy.

Bet Nos.95-199 will be along soon :)

My Grannies Attic said...

I love the cushion!!!

The mix of fabrics works really well together - what a fab idea!!!

Hazel said...

Wow that is clever! I would have never have thought of that. I also do not have any friends who would dontate their clothes lol.
I take pride in being your 94th follower - I do however have a lot of catch up reading to do! x

Unknown said...

Very cool ;) xx

Anonymous said...

Your cushion is GORGEOUS. I love your makes.xx

Dana said...

Ooo applique! I love it! Im venturing into this world right now and am finding it hard to get a neat satin stitch I thought the zigzah had to be close together but yours looks rather lovley keeping a bit of the zigzag so im going to experiment now!..were those deisel jeans btw? I love the colour of deisel jeans- Im saving up for a pair lucky you for getting them for the fabric!

vintage mum said...

Come in number 95 :)
Just found your lovely blog, pop over anytime,
Cate x

Disco Goth said...

Ooh...pretty!

x

Amanda Makes said...

Lovely cushion! Congrats on all those followers! Lots of love, Amanda xxx

Em said...

It's 95 now..!
Love the cushion you made, looks great, clever you..x

Kandi said...

Thanks ladies! You lovely lot - yep they were diesel jeans :)
Kandi x

Josie-Mary said...

Looks great....well done :)
I've been on 94 followers for months now....I brought something for a giveaway for when I hit 100 but I think it will be a long time yet!

Shabby Chick said...

Hi Kandi

Wow that looks brilliant, I wouldn't have thought to make that but it's great :) My daughters have some lovely clothes they are outgrowing so maybe I should re-purpose them in the same way!

By the way you have 97 followers now!

Mel xxx

LadyBugSays ... said...

Love it!

Alexandra said...

I love your cushion! xx

clare said...

Hi Hun xx Just found your blog...from a comment on fiddle fart blog!
So i thought i would pop over and have a nosey..and WOOO...what a gorgeous cushion..my fav is CK...and with the soft coloured jeans..this cushon looks gorgeous.

And congrats on your followers..not sure what your on now..but i will add myself now...TFS Hugs Clare xx
Weekend Crafter x

giddynici said...

Fantastic make. Great use of the denim. x

23rdspiral said...

just georgeous! seriously when is your shop opening?!

Daisy Rogers said...

what a great ides. I just love your thought that how we use our old jeans to make a wonderful designed of scatter cushions.
Thanks a lot for a lovely post