Thursday 24 June 2010

Earrings to Brooch

I bought these rose earrings recently as they were just so pretty!

When I wore them for the first time I was a bit saddened as they were so heavy that they just flopped over in my ear and were really uncomfortable to wear, as they were pierced earrings I couldn’t return them either.

As mentioned the other day I received a gift of some brooch backs so I got my jewellery cutters out and snipped off the back of the earrings.
I made a little felt circle and sewed some re-cycled lace and some ribbons onto that. I sewed the brooch back to the circle on the back and glued the rose in the middle.
I use hypo-cement as my jewellery glue as it is excellent for fiddly work, the nozzle is needle thin and the glue comes out a drop at a time.
So from a pair of earrings that I couldn’t wear I now have two brooches that I can. As I was finishing these my husband commented, 'oohh how very victorian', not sure if that was meant as a criticism but I took it as a compliment!


I think they might look quite neat on a denim jacket. I will be giving one of these away as a gift to a friend of mine who loves all things shabby and vintage and could do with a cheery gift to perk her up. This is also my submission for the jewellery challenge on the MSE jewellery thread.

~ ♥ Back Soon ♥ ~

17 comments:

Amanda Makes said...

Good morning! Is there nothing you can't do? You're our own little wonder woman! These are beautiful. How's your job going this week? Have you settled in? Lots of love, Amanda xxx

Dana said...

Good job, they look great x

Alex said...

Oh they're so beautiful! I think they're very Victorian too and that's definitely a compliment!

giddynici said...

Nice rework. Very pretty. x

Crafty JuJu said...

Gorgeous & so pretty :) x

Bethany said...

Those roses are too pretty to go to waste as unwearable earrings--nice job :)

Unknown said...

Ooo I like those Kandi. Defo a look with some denim.
Px

Dawn said...

Great idea. Might make me look at my earring collection in a whole new light!

VintageVicki said...

What a great idea to turn them into something you could use rather than leave them stuck in a drawer somewhere.

Gilly Tee said...

They are great and I think they will look lovely on denim.
Gillx

hart44 said...

How very pretty Kandi, you are so clever. They would rip them off you around here lol, the younger girls at work pay a fortune for brooches and not as pretty as your :)
Sue x

Unknown said...

those roses are so pretty - i love pink! ps, you list of things you want to make makes me smile xxxx

LadyBugSays ... said...

They are fab, remind me of rosettes you would win :)

Anonymous said...

How clever of you to re-purpose them so ingeniously!
Have a brill weekend.
Em xxx

jane p said...

Ouch, the maker of the rose earrings should try them on herself first before selling! I have a rose ring myself and you know what? They keep getting caught in stuff. I think they're prefect as brooch. Good call and "victorian" is such a compliment!

Unknown said...

Love them!! Thats a great use for them...and so pretty too!!
Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog and have a great weeekend hun x
Annie x

Unknown said...

Another fab idea x