Wednesday 23 May 2012

Free Motion Quilting

I have been practising my free motion quilting and I am coming far short of the mark! Hours have been spent drawing my patterns out on paper, but I'm just not good at it.

I call my efforts 'scribbling on fabric with a sewing machine'. 



The 'creation' took me hours with the hexies and the scribbling so I decided to turn it into something I could use, a new case for my kindle. 





If nothing else it will be constant reminder that I need to stop reading and practice Free Motion Quilting instead!




I missed the last local free motion quilting workshop as I was quite poorly but there is another coming up next month and I have my name down for that, hopefully I will get there god knows I need it!


Back Soon x

8 comments:

LaaLaa said...

It looks great to me! I'm in awe of your machine skills. xxx

Unknown said...

I think this looks great Kandi!
Dx

Emma Breadstill said...

I think it looks lovely. I've always wanted to try this but I'm too scared! xxx

Beki said...

I really like it chick, don't think i'd even attempt it.
Really must make myself a kindle cover, i'm not paying the £20 they ask for them lol.
Just need to find my machine under all my scrapbooking stuff, don't think a paper one will work do you ;o

Beki xxx

jill said...

It looks lovely you should show it off with pride.Love Jill xx

Gems - Fashion Well Done said...

Ah I think it looks so cute and sweet - I think you did a great job!

Gems x

Fashion, Well Done

SewCalGal said...

I think you did a great job and your case is super duper cute.

It does take awhile to get comfortable with doodling FMQ, as well as learning new designs, but if you practice you'll be amazed how fast you learn it. In a class with Diane Gaudynski, she emphasized it is repetition and not practice and that many designs took 10 reps to master it. That doesn't mean 10 loops but ten different times saying I'm going to do this design. Practice sandwiches are always good to have on hand too.

Come join the FMQ challenge if you want to try a new tutorial by an FMQ Expert every month: http://www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/free-motion-quilt-challenge.html

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Maria - A Playful Stitch said...

I think it looks really good! I would be too scared to try it - I'd probably ruin my work! I love the buttons and lace detailing on the case too!
Maria x