Thursday 12 August 2010

I'm home, but I have been busy...

I am home, it's wonderful to come home and get back into your own bed isn't it?

My week away was so lovely and relaxing (on the whole), we had a full week deep inte middle of the grizedale forest in the lake district in the most lovely cottage. I fell in love with the place, as did we all and I did not want to leave. For those of you who don't know the lake district this is why we come here:

This is where we have been staying, its over 300 years old and was once an old bobbin mill:

I met the owner (by mistake) on the way in and she was such a lovely lady, the place was like home from home, she had just sneaked in to paint a stain the last guests left and to put vases of freshly picked sweet peas all over the cottage.




Here are some of the old workings from the mill just next to the lounge wall,

This is the beck running through the property, this was just outside out back door and can be dated back to 1537!


We used this cottage as a base to explore the area and spent time in Hawkshead, Keswick, Kendal, Ambleside and lots of other lovely places. We spent the only sunny day in Blackpool at the pleasure beach, which the kids though was wonderful I was just scared for them on the huge rides!

We did spend many happy hours just at the cottage and had a couple of lazy days which allowed for a bit of crafting, I will show you what I managed to create, I did get some crochet done, I cracked it!! This is still a work in progress but you get the general idea, inspired by my friend Amanda this will be a crochet cushion (somehow!?!):

These flowers were so addictive and you should see me go now, I am like a little machine!

This one is a 3d pansy you can't tell from this angle though,


This is my favourite in ice cream colours,
In addition to these I sewed 110 hexies together until my poor finger actually bled (lets hear an awwww) the needle kept going into my skin and I can't use a thimble it gets in the way! I will show you my hexies once I can turn them into a cushion of some sort.

Thanks for indulging me with my holiday ramblings. x

~ ♥ Back Soon ♥ ~

15 comments:

Bethany said...

Awwww...poor fingers. I know them well.
You really are doing wonderfully with your crochet (the ice cream one is my fave too!) Beautiful! Nice work :)

LaaLaa said...

Well done Kandi! The crochet looks fab. I could do with a week like that myself! Lynda xx

Vix said...

I love the Lakes and spent my childhood half terms being dragged up hills and down dales by my action-loving Dad whilst Mum tottered after us in high heels and jangly jewellery...happy days. Loved the holiday snaps and am in awe of your crochet skills, amazing! xxx

Angie - Bumble Bee's Craft Den said...

Wow your crochet is brilliant - who'd have thought that a week or so back you couldn't crochet. Well done - I need to try and learn again!!!!

Linda said...

I know what you mean about that wonderful feeling you get on the first night back in your own bed, no matter how wonderful the holiday or how nice the place you are staying it always feels good to get home. Well done on making time to craft while you were away - you've certaintly cracked the crocheting!

jane p said...

Oh you poor thing. I feel ouch for you. I can't use a thimble too. Have you tried using masking tape on your fingers? That's what I do.

Josie-Mary said...

wow you did it....fantastic, it looks great :)
The pictures are lovely, it really is a beautiful part of the country. I've only been once but loved it :) x

verykerryberry said...

Beautiful colours in your crochet, especially the layered flower. The lakes is a great place to feel and be creative

Unknown said...

There's nothing like your own bed :)

Well done on the crochet, you're really good at it. I must pick mine up again x

VintageVicki said...

I love Grizdale - when we've been to the Lakes we've walked miles in the forest. Eldest son remembers the huge cumberland sausage sandwiches with particular fondness ;)

LadyBugSays ... said...

Looks like a great little get away!

Helga said...

You are a clever,clever minx,darling!!Such pretties you have made!
You getaway spot of choice looks so beautiful,reminds me a bit of that movie Possession?!

giddynici said...

Beautiful pictures. What a wonderful cottage to be staying in. I love the Lake District!
Well done on cracking the crochet. And I can't wait to see all the little hexies put together. x

Lucy in the Clouds said...

Just popped on to have a nosey after you said you'd cracked crochet... and you certainly have! Well done, I have a lot to live up to :s

Alex said...

Oh wow - what gorgeous holiday photos and what stunning crochet! The ice cream coloured flower is just so pretty.